Forums / Support / What dows BB do with the attachments?

What dows BB do with the attachments?

Hello.
I have a question about BB post-processing the downloaded articles.

First of all: Since around one week I am fighting with a Virus on the system I use BB on to download Binarys.

I testet and tried all the other Software I have on this system, but none has this virus.
When I use BB on the newly installed (and viruschecked) System some time after I let it automatically download the articles and assemble the *.bbt to the files I have again the same virus.

I am just guessing and can't prove ist, but I think BB downloads the artiicles (into *.bbt files), assembles them (to create the attachments) and then tries to do something with them. Unpacking? Sending to other tasks? I don't know what BB could be doing, but I guess somehow the virusfile gets startet and the System goes berserk.
I know of the automatic to show pictures after download. And since i am very cautious I did deactivate this years ago.

So I ask: what does BB do with the assembled attachments and how can I disable this to check if the problem really is the downloaded stuff an the way BB handles it? :confused:

By the way:
Yes I know there are lots of wrong names articles with viruses and malware in them. So after they are assembled in the attachment folders I kill everything with *.exe *.com *.pdf and so automatically. Then I transfer them to an other System, unpack them and kill the newly discovered suspicius files.
This worked for years. And the other systemes are not infected.
And yes I use Antivirus Software, update it on a 1,5h basis and automatically let it check the System. that is the reason I found the virus this early, before it coud affect more then around 50 *.exe files.

System: Win7 Pro Sp1 4GB Ram Quadcore, multiple HDDs.

BinaryBoy's reply to Shinji #15536 @

Make sure there's nothing on the Launcher tab in the Settings. On the Files tab in the Settings, the option to "Extract files from RAR archives" will run a DLL to do the extraction. You can uncheck that option and run WinRAR manually. There shouldn't be any setting other than those that launches a file in any way.

On the Search Strings tab, you might want to enable the Filename Filter and block .exe, .scr, .pif, .dll

Don't filter .com because it shows up in a lot of places.

Shinji's reply to BinaryBoy #15549 @

Thank you for the answer.
I checked the options and all were disabled and the extensions filtered.
It took me some time, but i found the whole the virus used.

BB was not at fault.

The problem was a VPN connection on the PC, that opened a whole in my firewalls.

BinaryBoy's reply to Shinji #15550 @

Ok. Thanks for the update.

nikkil's reply to Shinji #16372 @

Thank you for the answer.
I checked the options and all were disabled and the extensions filtered.
It took me some time, but i found the whole the virus used.

BB was not at fault.

The problem was a VPN connection on the PC, that opened a whole in my firewalls.

Make sure you scan with malwarebytes free version. It has a high probability of getting rid of those malware.

Shinji's reply to nikkil #16465 @

Hello nikkil.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I just installed the system again in Sept.2011. So it was clean.
I don't trust normal scans with such anti-maleware-software.

WilliamJam's reply to Shinji #17183 @

Hmm... I think I know what youre talking about, although I am still rather unfamiliar with the whole WH40K universe. Any similarities are unintentional.