Forums / Support / Beta 871?

Beta 871?

I'm running 1.91 pro build 759. It says build 871 available,
but when I download bbstbeta.exe and install it, I find I am
still running 759.

help?

BinaryBoy's reply to rseery #182 @

Did you close Binary Boy before upgrading? If you see the newspaper icon in the system tray, click on it to bring up Binary Boy and then close it. Then run bbstbeta.exe again.

rseery's reply to rseery #184 @

I closed Binaryboy before upgrading. I doublechecked that I wasn't running an old copy of the install. I ran the install about 5 times or so. The only thing I didn't do was uninstall BB.

BinaryBoy's reply to rseery #185 @

If you already had a bbstbeta.exe file, the new one may have been renamed when you downloaded it again or you might be running a different copy. The correct file size for the latest bbstbeta.exe is 918,060 bytes and the date is 9/27/2002. The direct download URL is ftp://ftp.orphanage.com/binaryboy/download/bbstbeta.exe

rseery's reply to rseery #186 @

I deleted all the other bbstbeta.exe that I had, so it didn't have to rename or overlay any.... I even tried saving it to bbstbeta871.exe so I would be absolutely sure it had the new version. I don't have the machine in front of me, so I can't verify the file size, but I remember the file date matching what you said. The url you give is where I was getting the file. Can you verify that the file on that FTP site contains 871?

BinaryBoy's reply to rseery #187 @

Ok. I just downloaded it and installed it and it puts me at build 871. The filename/date I mentioned in the previous message matches both the copy on my computer and the one on the ftp site. You could try running your original bbst.exe again to install the original and then run bbstbeta.exe to upgrade.

rseery's reply to rseery #188 @

Ok... I must be doing *something* wrong.... I'll try it again tonight. Thanks for checking and I'll let you know how I make out.

rseery's reply to rseery #189 @

When I went back to the beta page and downloaded it again, it was still 759... but when I linked to it from the message board page above, it downloaded as 871.... Maybe ie is caching the file or something... Anyway.. It looks good now. Thanks for checking for me.

BinaryBoy's reply to rseery #190 @

Great!

twohead's reply to rseery #191 @

I have heard I.E. can cause this either by caching old links (in an old page) or caching an old downloaded file.

The cure is:

Open your browser, select "tools" and then "internet options"

Now you have two choices...

1) a one time fix is to select "delete files"

2) a better fix is to select "settings" and flag the "always check for newer version of web page". This will however slightly slow page loading.:p