Forums / Support / Can't edit Group Lists - WinXP SP1

Can't edit Group Lists - WinXP SP1

I just tried to edit a Group List, and I'm back to the old problem of fields being lost. I first tried disabling MS Office Startup, but that didn't work. So, I went back to the old standby of booting in Safe Mode, and that didn't work!

The only major change on my system has been upgrading to WinXP SP1. At this point, I can't find any way to edit Group Lists. I'm gonna keep trying, but I need help!!!

Stoner's reply to Stoner #198 @

I also just used MSCONFIG to try a Diagnostic Startup, which only loads basic devices and services (similar/same as a Safe boot - me thinks), but no luck there, either.

Just to make sure it's not me, I'm going to run a CHKDSK and SFC.

I guess the good news is that's it really broke, so hopefully you can track down and eliminate this darn bug!

Stoner's reply to Stoner #199 @

The CHKDSK and SFC had nothing unusual to report, and I still can't edit Group Lists with a Safe Boot. So, I'm willing to bet that if you apply all MS updates to your WinXP machine, you'll be able to reproduce the problem at will.

NOTE that some folks have been having severe problems with the SP1 update, so I'd recommend a full backup, or being prepared to reinstall WinXP from scratch. I, and most folks, seem to not have any problems, but for some, it hasn't been pretty. Just an FYI.

Get your big bug stompin boots on - there's finally something here that's seemingly not related to third-party software!

BinaryBoy's reply to Stoner #200 @

I know where it's happening right down to a line of code but not why. When Binary Boy tries to retrieve the text from the dialog box, sometimes it gets an empty result back. Oddly enough it works perfectly in other parts of the program. I'll give it another go.

BinaryBoy's reply to Stoner #201 @

Try renaming the binboy.exe.manifest file so it uses the old style controls again.

Try the latest beta from http://www.binaryboy.com/patch.php It eliminates some special code that enabled the group list editor to resize.

Stoner's reply to Stoner #203 @

YES!!! Here's what I got:

Build 871 worked without the manifest in safe mode only. Build 882 works with a normal startup or in safe mode, with or without the manifest.

I'm burning this build on a CD! Thanks!!!

BinaryBoy's reply to Stoner #204 @

Great!

If this build fixes the problem for anyone else, please let me know.

Stoner's reply to Stoner #205 @

Well, as usual, I spoke too soon. It seems we're back to the "normal" situation of sometimes working, and sometimes not, but now it does sometimes work with Office startup running, which never seemed to happen before.

Sorry I can't be more specific - it's just too flaky to get a handle on. The next time it stops working I'll try and eliminate the manifest first to see if that helps. If you have any other ideas or things you'd like me to try, please let me know.