Forums / Support / Problems with downloading

Problems with downloading

I have had 2 new issues happen lately any help would be great.

1. At times BB will get stuck in a loop where every item I have qued up will just go through very fast and not download anything. All I see in the progress bar is the header says article then jumps to the next one. I have used master reset, reinstalled deleted BB folder, upgraded, does not help. If I restart BB then it works fine. Is there a cache file installed other then the BB folder I can delete?

this is the message I see in the error log

Error: Timed out waiting for a line from the server.
Status after timeout: 0 bytes still available in queue!
08:50:57: GetArticle3(): 423 No Such Article In Group

2. I have also seen at times where BB stops downloading and I see the coutdown number it will not reconect. I thought it may have been a windows or nortons upgrade but I uninstalled nortons didnt help and its been doing this for over a month now.

this is an error I have seen after this happened
20:23:09: Warning: Max slots=2 and Active=2, OpenOrBusy=2

My newsgroup server is roadrunner have they changed something

Thanks in advance

BinaryBoy's reply to nofx242 #415 @

The cache files are in a folder similar to this:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Binary Boy\Cache\

You can delete them and Binary Boy will re-download the information from the server. You can also delete them from the Master Reset command under the File menu.

If you're timing out often, make sure the timeout value on the Server tab in the settings is set to at least 120 seconds or so.

"423 No Such Article In Group" is a message from the server. For some reason the article number Binary Boy received from the server is no longer valid. The articles may have been deleted because they were too old, the server might have a corrupted index, or maybe Binary Boy's cache somehow got out of synch. The first two problems are on the server. Deleting the cache files should fix the last problem.

20:23:09: Warning: Max slots=2 and Active=2, OpenOrBusy=2

This means Binary Boy was already downloading 2 articles and the max download connections is set to 2. It's not an error. Binary Boy should continue downloading queued items after it finishes one of the current downloads. I'm guessing the connection speed dropped very low and Binary Boy didn't actually stop. What does the download rate at the bottom of the window say when this happens? There are also download meters on the Progress tab. Are they still moving?