Forums / Support / 423 Bad Article Number Error

423 Bad Article Number Error

I was downloading a list of files when my newsgroup subscription reached it's limit. The downloads stopped, no supprise.

So i went and bought another 10gigs worth of service. I entered my new name and password into Binary Boy and tried to continue downloading. I got the above error on every file. So, just to test i went and tried to download a different set of files alltogether, but the problem remained.

I've searched tbe board and figure this is my problem:

"423 No Such Article In Group" is a message from the server. For some reason the article number Binary Boy received from the server is no longer valid. The articles may have been deleted because they were too old, the server might have a corrupted index, or maybe Binary Boy's cache somehow got out of synch. The first two problems are on the server. Deleting the cache files should fix the last problem."

And the following:

"The cache files are in a folder similar to this:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Binary Boy\Cache\"

However, I cannot find this cache anywhere on my computer. It isn't in the above directory, and i've done a search on "binary boy", "application data", and "Cache" without finding it. I am running windows XP home edition.

If deleting this cache file is in fact my solution, where can i find it??

Thanks,

Shein

BinaryBoy's reply to Shein #474 @

Go to the Newsgroups tab in the settings. Do you have the cache option enabled? If not, there won't be any cache files.

If they exist, you can delete the cache files from the Master Reset command under the File menu. Uncheck everything except the "delete cache files" option.

Which build are you using? Build 1082 messes with the way the article number is stored so I would suspect a bug if that's the one you're running.

If you enable the cache, you should be able to load the cache file into a text editor and search for the article number. Then run Binary Boy with the -log option. log.txt in the Binary Boy program folder (Or File | View Log) should show which article Binary Boy is requesting. If you'd like me to take a look, you can send me the log.txt file or even both the cache file and the log.txt... preferably just the article number from the cache and the log.txt.

If you'd like to manually check for the existance of an article using telnet, here's what you do:

Go to the command-line.

Type: telnet news.yourserver.com 119

You'll receive a greeting line.

Type: authinfo user YOUR_USERNAME

The server will tell you tocontinue.

Type: authinfo pass YOUR_PASSWORD

The server will accept the logon if everything was typed correctly. (Most server don't allow backspace. You have to press enter and type the command again.)

Type: group NEWSGROUP_NAME

The server will respond with info about the group.

Type: article ARTICLE_NUMBER