Forums / Support / Build 1928

Build 1928

No problems - just wanted to let you know that the new optimized cache code seems to work great. There used to be a noticable delay after downloading headers, which is virtually gone now. Thanks!

BinaryBoy's reply to Stoner #538 @

Great! Thanks for the feedback.

Stoner's reply to Stoner #541 @

I may have spoken too soon. The first day, things were running great. After that, BB stopped finding new articles, and the "Merging cache" message seemed to stick around as long the delay was prior to this build.

But, I had done quite a few searches that day, and thought that I may have used my download list instead of my search list, which may have messed with the pointers. The next day, I still wasn't finding any new articles, so I turned-off caching, and everything was there.

So, I just did a master reset, and am catching-up with my newsgroups, with caching back on. It may have just been cockpit error - I'll let you know if the problem recurs.

BinaryBoy's reply to Stoner #542 @

Someone reported this about 4 hours ago and I've been working on it since then.... ugh. it turns out to be a very simple mistake. I'll try to have a new build uploaded tonight.

Stoner's reply to Stoner #543 @

Thanks - glad to hear that I'm not going crazy (yet).

BinaryBoy's reply to Stoner #544 @

No, but unfortunately for me I'm crazy. It turns out I opened a file for reading instead of writing. Doh.

New build available. http://www.binaryboy.com/patch.php

Stoner's reply to Stoner #545 @

Well, at least it was a "simple" fix.

On a related subject, is it possible that if "Delete cache files older than" is set to 10 days, and I search for something from like 20 days ago that's still on the news server, that it wouldn't show up in the article list?

BinaryBoy's reply to Stoner #546 @

Yes, that could happen assuming the delete option does anything.... With the cache files constantly being updated, they might not ever appear to be old. I've hardly tested it though. In fact I forgot the option was even there.

By the way, Binary Boy will automatically delete all headers numbered lower than the first available from the server.

Stoner's reply to Stoner #547 @

Oh, OK. I thought it was a misnomer and meant that it would delete headers in the cache file after that many days. I was playing with the settings when the first issue occured to see if that was the problem or not, so I couldn't really tell. Since my cache files are updated daily, that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the clarification.