Forums / Support / Privacy with newsreader program

Privacy with newsreader program

I just moved into room in another person's house. They let me use there dsl connection. How private is incoming newsgroups data. I just rather they didn't know i like big breasted redheads, and start looking at me funny. if it's too technical i'm sure they won't bother to peak :o

BinaryBoy's reply to modemmack #581 @

There's a small amount of privacy because Binary Boy stores information separately for each user. However if they have access to all areas of the hard drive, they can access the information by viewing the files listed below. If there's a single account, they can view almost everything simply by loading Binary Boy and clicking a few commands or looking at the search history.

The newsgroup names are in the group list files, which are in
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Application Data\Binary Boy The names of downlaoded files are in binboy.hst in the same folder and the message-ids are in binboy.mdx

In C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Binary Boy\Cache\ the headers are stored in the .txt files. The newsgroup names you've accessed are stored in binboy.bbcx.

After you download a file, the article text is stored in My Parts under the My Documents folder. My Attachments[.B] of course holds the completed files.

And in the registry, your previous search strings are stored in the combosearch and combofilter values under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hochsw\BinaryBoy\1.00

You can delete some of this with the Master Reset... command under the file menu. You'd still need to delete or hide the group list files though.

modemmack's reply to BinaryBoy #582 @

They won't have access to my computer. I was just wondering if the was any consumer product that would allow them to see that I like chicks with big butts. Other than them accessing my computer directly is there any way practical way they can see what the BB is bringing in? :confused:

BinaryBoy's reply to modemmack #583 @

Yes, there is packet sniffing software. They won't be able to use this if you're directly connected to the DSL connection. Some home networks are set up to run all data through a single computer that's connected to the DSL connection. If that computer is running a packet sniffer, it could log everything you send/receive.

But... the typical user is unlikely to use or know about this. I think your privacy is safe unless for some reason they become determined to snoop and are willing to pay a consultant or something.

modemmack's reply to BinaryBoy #585 @

Thanks for the heads up. I feel much better knowing what you told me.