Forums / Support / Downloading Mass Headers

Downloading Mass Headers

Hi. I'm experiancing extreme hd usage for very long periods, and a "virtual memory too low" notice from windows XP, when processing large amounts of headers (2 mil+). Once the headers are loaded the hd will grind away for hours doing a single word search, during which time Binary Boy does not respond. I've never waited long enough to see how long it would actually take to finish, and end up doing an "end task" on BB to exit.

With the pervious version of binary boy I could usually avoid this by hitting the search button about half way through so that the program has already proccessed half of the headers when it's through loading the full amount. The new beta version doesn't seem to do that.

Windows automatically increases my virtual memory when needed, but it is already set at a very generous amount. Is there anything I can do to increase the performance of binary boy if I want to download & search ALL the headers in a huge group like this?

I'm currently running windows xp on a 1.2gig system w/ 512mb memory.
I'm currently using the Pro Beta version of BB but experianced the same issue with the latest "official" version.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide :)

BinaryBoy's reply to ghoti #592 @

On the Newsgroups tab in the settings, enable the cache option.

On the Search Strings tab in the settings, set "Apply Search/Filters during subject download" to All.

Now only the search results rather than the complete header list will be loaded into memory.

Clicking Refresh will check for new headers from the server and then load from the cache. Right-clicking the Refresh button will load directly from the cache without connecting to the server.

To reduce memory usage further, you can disable the "Download extended headers" option on the Newsgroups tab in the settings. This will download only the subject rather than date, from, etc... To have an immediate impact, you would need to delete the cache files so that they're replaced. You can do this from the Master Reset command under the File menu.

Some servers require the extended headers option to be on. If you get errors in the Log window, try enabling it again.

ghoti's reply to BinaryBoy #593 @

Woot, thanx for the quick reply! :D