Forums / Support / settings dialog box cut off

settings dialog box cut off

Got a problem that I can't seem to fix.

The binary boy "settings" dialog box is cut off--I can't get to some of the settings and switches. It used to work fine but I must've changed something in recent months because now I've got this nasty problem. I'm using the BB trial version (which just expired), in Windows XP.

Here's a screen shot of the problem:
http://www.kaleirish.com/bad_dialogue.jpg

You can see the settings in the "server" tab are cut off. The problem started before the trial expired, and the other dialogue boxes were chopped off also. Made it impossible for searching because I couldn't even see some of the switches. I've never seen this problem before and don't have any other programs on my machine which are doing this.

I've tried reinstalling my video card drivers, no luck. Tried reinstalling the windows fonts and playing with the font settings, but it didn't fix it (although it did change the font inside the box). I use the "windows classic" appearance setting in XP normally, and I changed it to the default XP setting, and it didn't fix it. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled BB, and no change.

Any ideas? Is there a registry setting for BB in Windows XP that will reset the box to its default size or position?

BB is a great program and I want to buy it but It's not usuable to me right now with this problem...

TIA...

BinaryBoy's reply to irishkale #598 @

Wow. I've never seen this before. Try running Binary Boy from Start | Run with the -nofont switch like this: binboy.exe -nofont

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #599 @

Also... go to the GUI tab and uncheck "Display a single row of tabs in the settings"

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #600 @

Another idea... go to the Binary Boy program folder. There's a file named binboy.exe.manifest that gives BB the XP look. Try renaming it to something else and restart Binary Boy.

There's no registry entry for the size and position of the settings window. It allows Windows to display it anywhere it likes.

By the way, when you change Windows settings or anything, make sure you close Binary Boy completely and then restart. Look for the newspaper icon near the system clock. Click on it to bring up Binary Boy and then close it. If Binary Boy isn't closed, the changes you made to XP might not take effect.

irishkale's reply to BinaryBoy #601 @

Thanks for the quick replies...

I ended up figuring out the problem...

It has to do with the "DPI setting" in Windows XP. It got screwy I think after my original install of my Radeon 9700 video card.

I ended up changing the "dpi setting" in "control panel-->display-->settings-->advanced". Then go to the "General" tab. Here's a screenshot of where it needs to be changed.

http://www.kaleirish.com/dpi_setting.jpg

I changed it to "120 dpi" then opened Binary Boy, and the box had reset itself and was viewing properly. It made my fonts look too big for my taste, so I reset it back to the default of 96dpi, and checked Binary Boy--it still looked OK, so changing the value just to something else must have "refreshed" something that was corrupted.

Did a google search and found another program that had a similar problem:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/authorware/ts/documents/pi_large_fonts.htm

I'm buying my copy of BB Pro right now.... thanks guys for a great program...

BinaryBoy's reply to irishkale #602 @

Great and thanks for the detailed info. Might come in handy if someone searches for the same problem.