Forums / Support / How do you save "Search" results?

How do you save "Search" results?

hi there!

i was wondering how i could save the "search" result (or parts of it) into a text file -- eg. something like highlighting lines 123 to 200 and then right-click and save... ;) supposedly, binaryboy can save log files, but i can't find them. :confused: i only see "errorlog.txt" and "bytes.txt" in binaryboy's directory which do not contain the desired info.

best regards,

DD

BinaryBoy's reply to DocDragon #613 @

There's no feature to do exactly what you want, however there are several ways to access the subjects.

There's a primitive print feature on the Search tab's right-click menu.

There's a log option on the Logging tab in the settings that will write both the matched and rejected subjects to disk.

You can save the queue in the Pro version. To save the queue, click the Queue tab, right-click the list and click Save or Load. It will store the list in a text file with the same name as the group list file except with a .bbq extension in a folder similar to this:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Application Data\Binary Boy\

To enable the basic log, run Binary Boy from the Start | Run window like this: binboy.exe -log

You can also enable logging on the Logging tab in the settings. Remember to turn it off though because it will slow down the program. WIth the command-line switch, you don't have to remember.

If you have the cache enabled on the Newsgroups tab in the settings, you can view the subjects from each newsgroup here:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Binary Boy\Cache\

The cache files are in text format. The filename is a combination of the server name and newsgroup.

DocDragon's reply to BinaryBoy #614 @

thanks a lot for your quick reply!

There's no feature to do exactly what you want, however there are several ways to access the subjects.

There's a primitive print feature on the Search tab's right-click menu.

i saw it, but was not too fond of wasting paper. ;) also, i was looking for a way to import the text file into excel and then use its "sort" function to create some sort of catalogue.

[...]
You can save the queue in the Pro version. To save the queue, click the Queue tab, right-click the list and click Save or Load. It will store the list in a text file with the same name as the group list file except with a .bbq extension in a folder similar to this:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Application Data\Binary Boy\

that is actually a very good tip! i'll try that.

[...]
If you have the cache enabled on the Newsgroups tab in the settings, you can view the subjects from each newsgroup here:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Binary Boy\Cache\

The cache files are in text format. The filename is a combination of the server name and newsgroup.

for my purpose, the use of this cache file is the best solution so far. but is there a way to change the directory to where the cache is saved??? jumping to "c:\documents and settings\... blablabla" is quite a bit of a hassle just to find a single file... :o

thanks again for the great program! i'm really glad there is "life-time" support for it -- a worthwhile investment for me. :p

DocDragon

BinaryBoy's reply to DocDragon #615 @

You can change the cache folder location in the registry here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hochsw\BinaryBoy\1.00\CacheFolder

By default it uses a macro that expands to the local settings folder, but it can accept a regular path as well. If you want to preserve your current cache, you'll need to copy the files over to the new location. Don' forget the .bbcx file. It's the cache index.