Forums / Support / Describe the Perfect Posting Feature/App

Describe the Perfect Posting Feature/App

How would you like a posting app to work? Here's a rough idea. The actual code would be built on the exising 2.0 internet code so it would be usable as both a Binary Boy feature and a separate app.

The app has a dockable queue, a dockable log window and the main window is a list. (Specifically its an MDI app with two dockable windows/toolbars)

Drag files/folders to the app.
The app displays the list of files (or possibly displays them as folder/file icons)
A wizard pops up and allows you to enter information about the job:
    (Most fields would have reasonable defaults and could be skipped)
    A subject w/ macros: My Vacation in Hawaii! $(filename) $(parttotal)
    Newsgroups to post to
    Primary server to post to (or post to any available)
    Max lines/bytes per article
    Encoding method
    Text for part 0/n or for part 1/n
    Option to post thumbnail sheet
    Option to post other info such as SFV
Click OK and the wizard closes
Right-click on any file to make custom adjustments
Optionally rearrange the order of files.
Click a toolbar button to send the files to the queue and the upload begins.

Too many steps? Too complicated? Is there a completely different approach you'd like to see? Maybe in addition to those features, a shell extension that allows you to right-click on file(s) in explorer and "Post to Usenet"

Comments? Suggestions?

Stoner's reply to BinaryBoy #626 @

Wow - in a perfect world ...

In addition to the stuff you mentioned, here's some more suggestions:

Essential
[list]
[*]Throttle control over bandwidth and/or CPU usage.
[*]The ability to pause and continue the queue.
[*]The ability to set all applicable options in established "profile(s)" and/or based on the newsgroup provider(s) and/or newsgroup(s) posting to and/or file type and/or file size.
[*]Log file(s) for all activity, of course.
[/list]
Nice
[list]
[*]Automatic requeuing of unsuccessful transmissions, perhaps to alternate newsgroup provides, as setup in the "profiles".
[*]Queue scheduling - so items can be scheduled at various times, as opposed to just going or not. PLEASE use the MS scheduler - I refuse to have 14 billion schedulers running.
[*]"Encoding Method" is a bit unclear, but it it implies taking a file, and optionally breaking it up into parts, producing par2 files, and yenc (whatever options are set in the "profiles") - sounds great!
[/list]
The bottom line is that you can't have too many options, but I don't wanna have to deal with them every time I send a file.

That's off the top of my head - I'll probably come up with more later :)

But I hope BB 2.0 comes out first!!!

BinaryBoy's reply to Stoner #627 @

Thanks for the ideas. They will probably come out at around the same time because there's so much shared code. Work on one advances the other.

GxOxZxExR's reply to BinaryBoy #644 @

I very much second the ability to pause or save the queue (not unlike any number of ftp clients allow).