Forums / Support / Chaining servers....

Chaining servers....

Okay... I now I'm simply missing something.... but can some one please explain how to chain servers together? I really have looked through the help and can't find anything.

I subscribed to newsfeeds.com. For my subscription I get xGB/day download on each of several servers. I would like to have BB retrieve messages from one server until it fails... then chain to the next until it fails and so on.

I currently have all the servers setup within BB... but have to manually tell it to look at the next server when I blow the quota on one of them.

Is this possible???

Thanks,

Warwick

BinaryBoy's reply to warwickp #631 @

That's not how it works, although there will be a feature like that in a future version. The code in development will treat your servers as a pool and will download from one or more simultaneously depending on several factors such as quotas.

Chaining launches a second list after the first finishes the final newsgroup. In the Advanced section of each list, you can enter a different server address so each list connects to a new server.

Right now I suggest dividing your newsgroups into several lists. Then when you chain them together you can draw from each server.

warwickp's reply to BinaryBoy #632 @

Dare I ask when this new functionality may be available??

I LOVE BB and every since I found it a few years ago have used nothing else. But because of changing ISPs I no longer have a regular newsfeed and so have to use a subscription service.

I the mean time I may have to switch back to NewsBin Pro.

Thanks,

Warwick

BinaryBoy's reply to warwickp #633 @

I can't give a date because it will likely be wrong. At a minimum it's months away. Below is the core design and the progress of each section. It doesn't include the progress for the GUI, which should be fairly quick because I licensed one that's mostly pre-written, and also miscellaneous stuff like dial-up and SOCKS support.

At this exact moment, I'm focused on designing faster cache searches and minimizing the memory requirements of search results. The memory requirements will be much, much lower than 1.94, possibly 80% lower, even though it will hold search results from multiple servers. Improving speed is the tough part.

[CODE]
|-------|
| | |-----------------|
| |---| Session Manager | (Holds search results
| | |-----------------| and settings 0%)
| |
| | |----------------|
| |---| Server Manager | (prioritizes jobs and
| | |----------------| assigns servers 90%)
| | | |
| | |------| |------|
| Queue | |Server| |Server| (maintains connection count,
| 99% | |------| |------| throttle, etc.. 99%)
| | /|||\ /|||\
| | Connections (article/subject downloads
| | posting, etc... 99%)
| | |----------------|
| |---| Cache Manager | (Stores subjects and does
| | |----------------| searches 60%)
| |
| | |-----------------| (Calls the appropriate
| |---| Decoder Manager | decoder 95%)
|-------| |-----------------|
/ | \ \
yEnc UU MIME BNews (Actual decoding 99%)
[/CODE]