Forums / Support / (dis)Placement of informations

(dis)Placement of informations

Sorry...i simply haven't got the time or skills to search for the subject i want.
I just thought i would ask, now that i remember what to ask about :D

When i use the pro version (official not beta) is it first of all beyong slow when downloading 500+ mb's headers from usenet.....I have to wait a good long time before anything happens and the headers is shown.
When i sort and other stuff in the headers it's fairly quick, but if i download headers, and return to the machine after an hour or so, it starts all over being slow.

Isn't it possible to load everything to ram (if exists) instead of letting winslow use it's stinking pagefile?? :D

I know that the main issue here is windows, but it must be possible for l337 Hax0rs like yourself to "bypass" this. :cool:
An option perhaps....(Load headers to ram, and write on exit)

Thanx for a great program, i actually managed to get one of my friends to buy it (Order will be placed one of these days). :p

BinaryBoy's reply to Firefly #691 @

Part of what you're seeing is Binary Boy merging the cache file. The beta at http://www.binaryboy.com/patch.php is a little faster than the official version at merging and searching the cache.

It does load headers into RAM, which is why Windows uses the page file.

One of my top priorities is to increase the speed of the cache and lower the memory requirements. Right now I'm working on some significant changes to the cache that will almost entirely eliminate the merging step. This will be compatible with 1.9x so you can probably expect it in a future beta.

Lowering the memory requirements will cause another speed boost, but this requires a significant internal change and might not be in a 1.9x version.

By the way, partial updates to the cache (such as when returning an hour later as you mentioned), should be very fast so the problem might be in the search phase. The beta should help you there.

Firefly's reply to BinaryBoy #692 @

By the way, partial updates to the cache (such as when returning an hour later as you mentioned), should be very fast so the problem might be in the search phase. The beta should help you there.

I kinda knew this was a vague part :D I'll try to specify.
If i download headers, let's say 500Mbs worth, two things can happen.

1. I get the headers on screen after a certain amount of time, and can search and filter as i like, with good speed.

2. I get the headers on screen after a certain amount of time, but is currently not at the keyboard, when i get back to the machine some two hours later, and try to filter it is almost like i've downloaded the headers again and is waiting for the headers to "show"

Problem 2 is off course windows purging the ram for other processes, but are you able to program the task so that headers stay in ram, locking itself there, untill it's time to write the cache. so that you can work with the headers even hours after download?

(I'm not a programmer or have any idea how windows is handling ram, so excuse the stupid question) :D

BinaryBoy's reply to Firefly #693 @

I think there's a way to allocate memory that is locked into RAM, but it's generally not a good idea to override Windows like that. The whole situation will be improved when I finish the more efficient cache / search results code. Due to several little tricks, a typical header in a movie group will average only about 15-20 bytes in RAM compared to over 100 bytes in the current system.