Forums / Support / Trouble Moving BinaryBoy to WinXP from Me

Trouble Moving BinaryBoy to WinXP from Me

Greetings

I have been using BinaryBoy Pro for years now and I am very pleased with the product and the service. I am now in the throws of moving from Windoze Me to XP and I have encountered a problem. I suspect the problem is my lack of experience with XP but as everything else that I have moved is not exhibiting problems, I have to believe that it is an XP-BB interaction.

The messages I get when trying to download the newsgroup list are:

Downloading Master newsgroup list
(See Newsgroup tab in Settings for options)
Downloading all newsgroups
Connection failed with error 11004 - the requested name is valid and was found in the database, but does not have the correct associated data being resolved for
Failed to connect to server "nntp.wlfdle.phub.net.cable.rogers" port 119. Will retry

The error log contains the following:
##-------------------------------------------------
## Binary Boy Error Log File
##
## Most of the errors logged to this file are not
## critical. They are logged to help in tracking
## the cause of any serious problems that may come
## up in the future.
##
## It is safe to delete this file. Binary Boy will
## create a new log when the next error occurs.
##
09:19:32: CBBNetTextUI: Unable to load C:\Documents and Settings\John\Application Data\Binary Boy\bbnet.bbmap
09:20:31 CMsgIdManager::Write: MoveFile "C:\Documents and Settings\John\Application Data\Binary Boy\binboy.mdx" "C:\Documents and Settings\John\Application Data\Binary Boy\binboy.backup.mdx" failed with error 2

I have checked the settings and even swapped the harddisk with Me and BB back in. Under Me, BB happily works. To me this means that I have encountered something to do with XP and BB that I have failed to adjust or set up. It is XP Pro that I am running.

Any ideas?

regards

John

BinaryBoy's reply to John #780 @

The file errors mean those files don't exist yet.

nntp.wlfdle.phub.net.cable.rogers doesn't exist. I'm assuming that's a special address that was set up in your hosts file. Try loading the following files into notepad:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\lmhosts.sam

Is nntp.wlfdle.phub.net.cable.rogers listed in either one? If so, try using the IP address listed to the left of it.