Forums / Support / Problem with New vs. All

Problem with New vs. All

I seem to be having difficulty with the latest Pro release as well as the latest Pro Beta release. Even though the settings are for a run that should only pick up the new files I seem to be getting a lot of cases where it reads all the file headers. I am running Windows XP that is fully up to date if this helps. Any ideas or suggestions?

BinaryBoy's reply to kb-matrix #903 @

Do you have the cache disabled on the Newsgroups tab in the settings? If so, make sure you set the "Remember" option to "Highest scanned". To do this, right-click on the subject list, go to the "Remember" submenu and click "Highest scanned"

kb-matrix's reply to BinaryBoy #905 @

I have the looked at Settings/Newsgroups and found the following. Cache subjects on disk is checked, Delete cache is set for 30 days, and Download extended headers is checked. When I right click the subject section the Remember is set for Highest Scanned. Some newsgroups seem to now be responding while others don't. I also have linked scans and newsgroups that respond properly in the first scan don't in the latter scans.

BinaryBoy's reply to kb-matrix #906 @

Is it actually displaying more results than it should or is it just scanning the entire cache but returning the appropriate number of results? In other words, if you search for * with a starting point of New, does it display all files in the cache instead of just new articles?

A previous build ignored the Starting Point when searching the cache. Maybe the upgrade failed and you still have the older version. Go to the About box and look at the version number. Is it 1.95?

You could also look at the actual article number Binary Boy thinks is the highest and see if it's close to the highest in the cache. To see the number, right-click on the newsgroup name in the group list editor and click Properties. From a search session, you can open the group list editor by right-clicking the newsgroup dropdown list.

To see the article number in the cache, go to \Documents and Settings\Your Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Binary Boy\cache and look at the file matching the server and newsgroup: server!!newsgroup.txt The highest article will be at the beginning of the last line. Ideally it should be 1 less than the article number in the group list editor.

If you look at the cache file, let me know if there's a significant difference.

Also, is it possible that you're seeing extra results because one of the other search strings is matching? Binary Boy returns a result if ANY search string matches. There's the main search string on the Search tab, there's the global search string on the Search Strings tab in the Settings, the group list search string in the Advanced section of the group list editor and also one in the group's properties.