Forums / Support / Man am I slow....

Man am I slow....

Well, I only had around 2 Million headers to read off of Pro server in a.b.dvd group. Tried caching the subjects over the last 3 days, seemed like doing the refresh seemed gettign slower and slower each day. Today, I noticed the little tray thingy saying I was out of VM.... looked and saw Binboy was using 1.6Gb of VM and all the rest of available memory, while trying to sort the headers, looked like, which had been working for over 2 hours..... :confused:

Had to kill it, and XP as well, then Switched caching off, reloaded all headers (takes a while!!!) and noticed that after sorting and displaying the headers, VM went down dramatically, like from 1.8GB down to 77Mb... whew!!!! Is this just from maintaining the headers in memory for the sorting? Any way of minimizing this without turning extended headers off?

Love BinBoy Pro, great product by the way, Newsleecher and newsbin give me a headache just trying to work out what to do.... was well worth registration fee!!!!

BTW, today I have >61,000 Parts (25Gb) in Parts on my PC, proving to be a little slow in recovering incompletes using Alt-D (>1 min before list comes up!!!) and this is on XP SP2 (yuk) on a 3.0HT/800FSB Abit IS7-E with 1Gb DDR RAM, and that's 2x 200GB SATA/100 drives I got Parts on 1 and Completes on the other..... Thank the Lord I'm not still on my 900Mhz P3 that I had last year.... :D

If BinBoy can deal with this, it can't be bad huh???? See ya!!!

BinaryBoy's reply to TedB #931 @

Yes, Binary Boy is somewhat inefficient in how it stores each header and there's no setting that will change that right now, but you can minimize the number of headers in RAM. Enable "Apply search/filters during subject download" on the Search Strings tab in the settings. That affects cache searches as well as downloads.

If all else fails, try making your searches more specific so the number of results is smaller or change the Starting Point option to search just recent articles.

The cache system I'm working on right now reduces memory requirements by over 80% and is quite speedy.

You might consider dividing your parts into subfolders with the "Create subfolders" option on the Files tab in the Settings. One problem with that is Binary Boy won't automatically join parts that are in separate folders.

TedB's reply to BinaryBoy #932 @

Cool!!! hadn't thought of that, I figured it would download all the headers anyway, so wouldn't make a difference until display sort and display time, but I'll try it today and see....

I worked through your subfolders suggestion already, and don't use it for that reason, and yes, it'd be nice if BB recovered incompletes recursively and then put them in the subdirectories they belonged in... :eek: sounds like weeks of programming.. may call for several doses of pRogaine.....

No complaints though, I should know better than to download so much stuff ;)