Forums / Support / Build 744 {newest one} does not show

Build 744 {newest one} does not show

I used to start BB and then when there was nothing interesting I close it... and when I restart it.. it will scan again but it will still show the files [whether I had downloaded it or not]. Now when I restart BB it will no longer show anything.. what can I do.. I hate to keep doing a Master Reset.. The previous build worked better. Is there something I can do in the Options to show all files again ??

Basically if I go to a group... it shows all the files/ messages.. then when I go to another group and then return back to the previous group. It will not show anything.....

BinaryBoy's reply to andylouie #1140 @

What was your previous build?

Did you accidentally change the Starting Point option? Try setting it to ALL.

andylouie's reply to BinaryBoy #1141 @

Can you show me where can I do this in the settings ? Thanks so much

Yes I think I have it as Show ALL [In the Starting Point].. like when I go back or close up BB Build 744 v1.95 I have this problem. I think the previous build I used as 640+ or so and it worked well but then I crashed if the newsgroups were large.

BinaryBoy's reply to andylouie #1142 @

The Starting Point option is on the main window when you have a search session open. It sounds like you found it.

Run regedit.exe from the Windows Start | Run window and go here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hochsw\BinaryBoy\1.00\StartFrom

What value does it show?

Also, do you have the cache enabled or disabled on the Newsgroups tab in the Settings?

andylouie's reply to BinaryBoy #1147 @

It show a 1 as a Hexadecimal....

BinaryBoy's reply to andylouie #1148 @

Hmmm. That's what it should be.

You mentioned you can do a master reset to fix it. When you do this, what options are selected? Is it just "Reset 'Next' pointers"?

Here's a test you could try. See if the Next pointer for the group is changing.

With "All" as your Starting Point, view a group. While still in the group, right-click on the newsgroup name to open the group list editor. Right-click the newsgroup name and click Properties. Write down the number in the "Next" field.

Now go to the next group and then come back. Look at the Next pointer again. Has it changed? With All selected, it's not supposed to change.

andylouie's reply to BinaryBoy #1154 @

Is this from the Options or the Radio Button ?

BinaryBoy's reply to andylouie #1155 @

The All radio button under Starting Point. It doesn't matter whether you click All on the initial search window or on the Search tab after a search session is open. Just make sure All is selected.

When you have a search session open, look under the Search field. There's a dropdown list of your newsgroups. Right-click on that to open the current list in the group list editor.

Inside the group list editor, right-click on the name of the current group and a pop-up menu will appear. Click Properties in the pop-up menu. You'll see a field labeled "Next Article". That's the number you want.

Write down this number when you initially enter a newsgroup and then again when you go back to the same group. When you have "All" as the Starting Point, it shouldn't change. It should only change if you have New or Last New selected. If it does change, there's a problem.

andylouie's reply to BinaryBoy #1162 @

Next Article Shows a 0. Is that correct ?

BinaryBoy's reply to andylouie #1163 @

Yes as long as it remains 0.

I noticied another potential problem with cache files larger than 2GB. Look in C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Binary Boy\Cache\. Is the cache file for that newsgroup over 2GB?

BinaryBoy's reply to BinaryBoy #1164 @

Also... Does this happen in just one newsgroup or in all newsgroups?

andylouie's reply to BinaryBoy #1166 @

I could not find a Cache Folder... in the application data..

BinaryBoy's reply to andylouie #1167 @

It might be hidden. Try putting the whole thing in quotes and entering it in the Start | Run window: "C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Binary Boy\Cache\"

On the Newsgroups tab in the Settings, is the Cache option enabled?

andylouie's reply to BinaryBoy #1168 @

I am happy to report the new build I just installed works wonderfully and shows up. Yes the Cache is enabled. Fantastic piece of work thanks so much.

U are incredible... best software I have ever used.

BinaryBoy's reply to andylouie #1169 @

Great! Thanks!

andylouie's reply to BinaryBoy #1170 @

The new one somehow display of this problem again. I am not sure why. I had to do a Master File Reset in order for it to show again.

BinaryBoy's reply to andylouie #1171 @

Maybe this is a GUI problem and not a search results problem. When this happens, drag another window over top of Binary Boy. Then drag the window away again so Binary Boy has to redraw the results list. Does it appear again?

Are you still unable to find the cache folder? If so, go to the following registry entry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hochsw\BinaryBoy\1.00\CacheFolderT

Double-click it and copy the value. It will look similar to this: C:\Documents and Settings\Howard Swinehart\Local Settings\Application Data\Binary Boy\Cache\

Click Start | Run, type a quote character, paste the folder name, type another quote and press Enter. The cache folder should open. Look for the cache file of the newsgroup you're having trouble with and let me know if it's over 2GB.

andylouie's reply to BinaryBoy #1172 @

I saw this.. there are 3 files

1. binboy.bbcx
the other 2 are just the newsgroups which I was accessing in txt format

one of them shows as 20.0+ MB and the other shows a 39.0MB

Is that correct ? It did not have over 2 gb yet as I can see. Advise?

BinaryBoy's reply to andylouie #1173 @

Yes, that sounds right. The size of the files isn't a problem.

Let me see if I understand the exact problem.

You run Binary Boy and go to the first group. Binary Boy downloads headers and displays the results. You click Next to go to the next group. Binary Boy again downloads the headers and displays the results. Now you click the Prev button to go back to the first group and no results are displayed?

If that's the case, try enabling the "Log search/filter result for every subject" option on the Logging tab in the settings then do the same search again. If there are any subjects, Binary Boy will log why each was rejected in c:\program files\binary boy\log.txt

andylouie's reply to BinaryBoy #1182 @

I will try to enable log and see from there. Now when I start it updates but then nothing is shown.

BinaryBoy's reply to andylouie #1183 @

Ok. You can send the log to support <at> binaryboy dot com. Sounds like an interesting bug.

vgpreg's reply to BinaryBoy #1206 @

My current version is 1.96.70 Pro Beta but I have noticed this for several revisions, just wasn't sure that I wasn't causing it myself.

I am having some trouble with dissappearing subjects. I usually can open a list and DL subjects for a group and end up with (for example) 10468 subject lines. Then I can search and process files with no problem.

But sometimes things act weird.

The subject scan may complete and display a resultant scan that is obviously MUCH smaller than normal.

or (after a sucessful scan)

I type in a search for fairly recent subjects and they appear OK and I can process them.

or

I type in a search for older subjects and they appear OK and I can process them.

or

I type in a search for older subjects and they are NOT found !! Even if I could see them on the screen before applying the search !!

Then

After any of the 3 sets of results above when I change the search to a wildcard * and click search the number of subject lines results in a much lower number than the original. For example: 2573 subjects.

After this happens it is difficult to get the program to properly scan the group in order to get back to the FULL 10468 subject lines initially discovered, it tends to want to stick to the previous number of subjects. Often I need to restart the program before it will "reset".

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have observed this several times with a search using a premium news server, but I think that a similar thing may be occasionally happening with scheduled downloads against my primary 'free' server in that I will have a run of downloads from the server with a identifiable period (the search runs every 6 hours) when almost none of the new files were able to DL properly leaving many incomplete files in the parts folders, while the periods immediately before and after have very few incompletes.

BinaryBoy's reply to vgpreg #1207 @

Is it possible that you're running low on RAM? Binary Boy limits results when available memory drops to 5%.

vgpreg's reply to BinaryBoy #1208 @

Hmmm, maybe, I have 2G on board, but sometimes when "Cleaning up" I can have a fair amount open.

Let's see.

Steam
McAfee AV
ZoneAlarm
SlimBrowser(Explorer)
2 Instances of Binary Boy (usually) (Heck this alone is 300-350M)
Forte Agent
WinRar
EditPad
Multiple instances (5-10) of QuickPar
And of course all the miscelaneous sound\video\mouse junk that loads on startup.

Often with a game holding in the Background (The Tone Rebellion)

I will try to find out how much is actually free the next time it happens.

What is the threshold?

vgpreg's reply to vgpreg #1209 @

And of course similar memory usage could be occasionally true during a scheduled event.

BinaryBoy's reply to vgpreg #1210 @

It stops loading results when the free memory drops to 5% of the total. If it's a bug, it could either be a leak in Binary Boy (possible but unlikely because I checked for this not long ago) or it could be an error in the free memory calculation.

If it stopped because of low memory "Low memory. Stopping subject load" will appear in errorlog.txt in the Binary Boy program folder. Let me know if you find that text.

vgpreg's reply to BinaryBoy #1211 @

If it stopped because of low memory "Low memory. Stopping subject load" will appear in errorlog.txt in the Binary Boy program folder. Let me know if you find that text.

That message does not appear in errorlog.txt

BinaryBoy's reply to vgpreg #1212 @

Do you have the cache enabled on the Newsgroups tab in the Settings or are you downloading headers from the server each time?

Since it's not not low memory then I'm not sure what it could be. If you'd like to create a log, I'd be happy to take a look. To create a log, follow the instructions at http://www.binaryboy.com/faq.php#HowToLog

vgpreg's reply to BinaryBoy #1213 @

Do you have the cache enabled on the Newsgroups tab in the Settings or are you downloading headers from the server each time?

I just today turned the cache off after the last incident. I will let you know if it happens again.